Thursday, September 23, 2010

On Being Sick, the Full Story

This might get long; we'll see how it goes.

Last Saturday, I started having horrible muscle cramps in my stomach. My arms and legs felt bruised. The cramping was so bad I spent Saturday and Sunday on my couch. Even just walking down the hall to the elevator left me winded and doubled over in pain. I was also in the bathroom constantly, if you know what I mean. Eating was almost impossible, as my stomach hurt horribly whenever I ate anything or drank something cold. So that was my weekend.

Enter Monday. Since I hadn't been able to do anything all weekend, I told myself I'd do something this day. I went to my Jazz dance class and forced myself through it. I went to my work-study (and got to see my two teachers rehearse again). And I went to work, though I had to leave early because I felt sicker and sicker as time went on.

Tuesday. Still sick. Sat out on my ballet class, which was sad since it would've been a fun class.

Wednesday morning I went into the university clinic to make a doctor's appointment. That afternoon, I met with a nurse and found out that I was down to 138 pounds. 138! Yikes! As much as that number is deliciously low, I'd like to get there by my own wishes, not because of a virus. Yup, the doctor said I most likely have a virus causing the inflammation of my gastrointestinal lining. Basically, I have the flu, but with the added bonus of it being horribly painful when I eat.

So now I'm forcing myself to eat. Still not as much as a healthy person should, but I'm trying to keep from having my weight drop any more until I get better. Losing weight isn't good for recovering.

There we are. I'm working on recovering. Once I'm feeling better, I'll be posting more often.

No comments: